USCIS New Delhi Field Office India


Ms. Bobbie L. Johnson, Field Office Director

Service Area

The New Delhi Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration matters in the following countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.

Street Address

American Embassy
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi - 110 021

Office Location

The USCIS Manila Field Office is located in the diplomatic enclave of New Delhi, an area where many other embassies and high commissions are located. Visitors are requested to use the public entrance access from the West Building.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. It is closed on both Indian and American holidays.

Visiting the office in person

No appointment is necessary to visit the information office. Based on the requirements of an applicant, an appointment may be made with a U.S. Immigration Officer, either later on the same day or on a later day.

Walk-ins are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Walk-ins and appointments are accommodated from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

Paying Fees

Effective February 2, 2009, the Form I-130 filing fee will no longer be accepted in cash. The USCIS filing fee must be submitted in Indian Rupees by demand draft at the Embassy. The demand draft should be made out to the: “American Embassy, New Delhi”.

The USCIS fee is not refundable; Rupee bank drafts must be drawn on a nationalized or foreign bank. As the rate of exchange can change, applicants should check the current Consular rate of exchange at the following website or, contact the USCIS Office ahead of their interview to obtain the current Consular rate of exchange.

Services at the USCIS New Delhi Office

Form I-130

U.S. citizens, who reside locally, are eligible to file Forms I-130, ''Immediate Relative Immigration Petitions'', by appearing at the office during normal business hours, as stated above.

Originals for all documents with copies must be submitted at the time of filing (originals will be returned).

Additional information about Petitions for Alien Relatives may be reviewed by visiting the following pages on our website:

  • U.S. Family Immigration [link]
  • CR-1 spouse visas [link]
  •  Additional information on Overseas filing of Petitions for Alien Relatives, sometimes mistakenly referred to as “Direct Consular Filing” or “DCF”, may be viewed by clicking here [link to article on overseas filing].

NOTE: Overseas USCIS offices do not accept or adjudicate I-129F petitions for Fiancées.
If you have questions regarding filing of Immediate Relative Petitions with USCIS Bangkok, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Form I-601

Waiver Applications

Form I-601 must be filed with the Consular Section where an applicant is applying for an immigrant visa and is denied on specific legal grounds of inadmissibility.  Legal grounds of inadmissibility for which an I-601 waiver may be available will be identified by the Department of State Consular officer during the immigrant visa interview. Please note that the fact that a person may be eligible to apply for a waiver of specific legal grounds of inadmissibility in no way guarantees that the I-601 Waiver Application will be approved. Approval of I-601 Waiver Applications is in the discretion of USCIS based on the facts and evidence before them in each specific case.

Additional information about legal grounds of inadmissibility (reasons for visa denials) may be reviewed by visiting our page on I-601 waiver applications [link] or by reading our article on legal grounds of inadmissibility and I-601 waiver applications [link to article]

If you have been denied a visa or if you have questions regarding filing of I-601 Waiver Applications with USCIS Bangkok, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Form I-407

Relinquishment of Legal Permanent Resident Status (Giving up your green card)

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. If an individual who relinquishes their lawful permanent resident status (their “green card”) wishes to obtain lawful permanent resident status again in the future, they must qualify again for such status by filing a new petition in a category in which they qualify. One should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status. 
That being said, there are perfectly sound reasons for relinquishing one’s green card. If a legal permanent resident has been out of the United States for a prolonged period of time, without a Re-Entry Permit, they may have already lost their legal permanent resident status, essentially by operation of law. In such instances and, where the green card holder wishes only to visit the U.S. infrequently and for brief periods of time, it is often advisable to relinquish the green card with an I-407 filing preparatory to filing an application for a B1/B2 visitor visa.
We again caution you that your green card should not be relinquished without very careful consideration and, if you are at all in doubt about your status or intentions, you should obtain a legal opinion to inform your decision making. If you are considering giving up your green card and wish a legal opinion on your status and options, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Forms I-600 & I-600A

The New Delhi Field Office accepts Form I-600 from the following petitioners:

Applicants whose Form I-600A has been approved stateside, then forwarded to and received by the New Delhi office will need: 

1)         Form I-600 signed by both Petitioners and submitted in person by the U.S. Petitioner,

2)         Affidavit of Birth and Abandonment issued by an Orphanage and/or certificate of Abandonment issued by the Juvenile Welfare Board in India and/or Relinquishment Deed signed by the parent(s),

3)         Court Order granting legal custody or approving adoption, 

4)         Copy of Adoption Deed and fee receipt indicating that the original has been submitted to the Sub-registrar's Office in India for registration (applicable only for Hindus if they adopt in India), 

5)         Proof that all pre-adoption requirements have been met (if incomplete on Form I-600A).

The Department of State has an extremely helpful and well organized information resource relating to intercountry adoptions which can be viewed at:

Form N-400

U.S. immigration offices overseas do not accept or process Naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) that live overseas.

EXCEPTION: Certain Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military can be naturalized overseas. However, the applications should be filed with the Nebraska Service Center. For additional information about Naturalization rules applicable to Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed Immigration attorneys at

Form I-131 Parole

The New Delhi Field Office does not issue Humanitarian paroles.

The address for applying for Humanitarian Parole is:

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
(Humanitarian Parole)
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100

Form I-131 Re-entry

The New Delhi Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits.

Applicants who have requested that their Re-Entry Permits be sent overseas, for delivery at the New Delhi Field Office, will be sent a call-in letter that requests them to collect their permit, upon presentation of their passport and Alien Registration Card.

Form I-590

The USCIS New Delhi Field Office does not directly receive refugee resettlement applications. These applications should be filed with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) in New Delhi.

Transportation Boarding Letters

The USCIS Bangkok office does not issue Transportation Boarding Letters to Lawful Permanent Residents to replace a lost or stolen Form I-551 (your “green card”) or Re-Entry Permits.
However, Boarding Letters may be requested in these circumstances from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) whose offices are located in the U.S. Embassy, New Delhi.
If you wish to request a Transportation Boarding Letter due to a lost of stolen I-551, you should contact the CBP office for additional information using the Embassy Control Number 2419-8000: