USCIS Guangzhou Field OfficePeople’s Republic of China


Jackie W. Wong, Field Office Director

Service Area

The Guangzhou Field Office has jurisdiction over U.S. immigration benefits and enforcement activities throughout the Guangzhou Consular District. 

The Guangzhou Consular District consists of the four southeastern provinces of Guangdong, Fujian, GuangXi, and Hainan. The Guangzhou Field Office is the only USCIS office in China with jurisdiction over intercountry adoptions of orphans by U.S. citizens.

Street Address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
c/o U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou
Tian Yu Garden - 5th Floor
136-146 Lin He Zhong Lu
Tian He District, Guangzhou

The public service window is on the fifth floor of the American Consulate.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public on Fridays from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. The Consulate is closed on both Chinese and American holidays. The public service window is on the fifth floor.

Visiting the office in person

Petitions for orphans are filed concurrently with immigrant visa applications through an appointment with the Adopted Children Immigrant Visa Unit in the State Department Consular Office of the facility. All appointments are confirmed in writing. 

Walk-ins are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis during public service window hours only.

Paying Fees

Fees may only be paid to the Cashier at the American Consulate General Guangzhou, with either U.S. dollars or Renmenbi only. Personal checks, postal money orders, traveler's checks, or certified checks are not accepted by the Cashier at the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou.

Services at the USCIS Guangzhou Office

Form I-130

Petitions for Alien Relatives (For Spouses, known as CR-1 or IR-1 cases)

Immediate relative petitions (Form I-130) are accepted from U.S. citizens with proof of residency within the Consular District only. The petitions must be filed in person.
U.S. Citizens who legally reside in the local area, can file an Immediate Relative Immigrant Petition (Form I-130) in person during public service window hours only. The office does not accept applications by mail.
Additional information about Petitions for Alien Relatives may be reviewed by visiting our pages on U.S. Family Immigration [link] or CR-1 spouse visas [link]
Additional information about Petitions for Alien Relatives may be reviewed by visiting the following pages on our website:

  • U.S. Family Immigration [link]
  • CR-1 spouse visas [link]
  •  Additional information on Overseas filing of Petitions for Alien Relatives, sometimes mistakenly referred to as “Direct Consular Filing” or “DCF”, may be viewed by clicking here [link to article on overseas filing].

NOTE: Overseas USCIS offices do not accept or adjudicate I-129F petitions for Fiancées.
If you have questions regarding filing of Immediate Relative Petitions with USCIS Guangzhou, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at 

Form I-601

I-601 Applications for Waiver for Grounds of Inadmissibility are filed directly with the Immigrant Visa Unit of the Consulate, who then forward the application and supporting documentation to USCIS Guangzhou Field Office for adjudication.

Additional information about legal grounds of inadmissibility (reasons for visa denials) may be reviewed by visiting our page on I-601 waiver applications [link] or by reading our article on legal grounds of inadmissibility and I-601 waiver applications [link to article]

If you have been denied a visa or if you have questions regarding filing of I-601 Waiver Applications with USCIS Bangkok, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Form I-407

Relinquishment of Legal Permanent Resident Status (Giving up your green card)

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. If an individual who relinquishes their lawful permanent resident status (their “green card”) wishes to obtain lawful permanent resident status again in the future, they must qualify again for such status by filing a new petition in a category in which they qualify. One should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status. 
That being said, there are perfectly sound reasons for relinquishing one’s green card. If a legal permanent resident has been out of the United States for a prolonged period of time, without a Re-Entry Permit, they may have already lost their legal permanent resident status, essentially by operation of law. In such instances and, where the green card holder wishes only to visit the U.S. infrequently and for brief periods of time, it is often advisable to relinquish the green card with an I-407 filing preparatory to filing an application for a B1/B2 visitor visa. In such cases, be sure to retain the copy of the I-407 which you will receive from the USCIS officer at the time you relinquish your green card and, include it in the evidence package on any subsequent tourist or other U.S. visa application.
We again caution you that your green card should not be relinquished without very careful consideration and, if you are at all in doubt about your status or intentions, you should obtain a legal opinion to inform your decision making. . If you are considering giving up your green card and wish a legal opinion on your status and options, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Forms I-600 & I-600A

The Guangzhou Field Office has delegated limited authority to the Department of State Adopted Children Immigrant Visa Unit (ACIVU) to adjudicate orphan petitions that are filed by U.S. Citizens who are adopting children from China. Orphan petitions that are deemed not readily approvable will be subject to further investigation by the Guangzhou office. The Guangzhou Field Office processes all advance processing applications (Form I-600A) filed by U.S. Citizens residing anywhere in China. 

Prospective adopting parents that live in China should make arrangements with the nearest Embassy or Consulate for fingerprinting and to have completed fingerprint cards, evidence of fee payment, and a home study report (including a cover letter from a U.S.-based adoption agency) sent directly to this office. Additional information regarding the Chinese adoption process can be obtained from the China Center for Adoption Affairs. 

Only U.S. citizens may petition for the immigration of orphans adopted abroad. Lawful Permanent Residents cannot petition for orphans to immigrate to the United States. Additionally, Lawful Permanent Residents who have adopted in China as Chinese citizens may not be in compliance with federal regulations and their children may not be eligible for U.S. immigration benefits.

Prospective Adoptive Parents are advised to contact their local USCIS office, prior to their departure from the United States for their Department of State appointment, in order to verify that the fingerprint clearances are still valid.
The Department of State has an extremely helpful and well organized information resource relating to intercountry adoptions which can be viewed at:

Form N-400 (Naturalization Applications)

U.S. immigration offices overseas do not accept or process Naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs).
EXCEPTION: Certain Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military can be naturalized overseas. However, the applications should be filed with the Nebraska Service Center. For additional information about Naturalization rules applicable to Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed Immigration attorneys at

Form I-131 Parole

The Guangzhou Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Paroles. Individuals must apply for parole by submitting their applications to:

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
(Humanitarian Parole)
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Guangzhou Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits overseas.

Form I-590

The USCIS Guangzhou Field Office does not receive refugee resettlement applications directly.

Transportation Boarding Letters

A transportation letter may be issued to a Lawful Permanent Resident to replace a lost or stolen. Application for a transportation letter must be made in person. Since these cases require extensive investigation, processing time can be extremely lengthy and issuance of a transportation letter is by no means assured. Additionally, Chinese authorities are under no obligation to accept a transportation letter as evidence that a person may lawfully depart the country.

The following documents will be required: 
1. Proper Identification 
2. Police Report or evidence of loss or theft of the Green Card
3. Proof of Residence in the United States within the last year 
4. Passport size photographs (4) 
5. Copy of your return airline tickets, if applicable
6. A Notarized statement that details your departure from the United States, your arrival to China, and when and how your Alien Registration Card was lost or stolen, is required. 
7. If your Alien Registration Card is expired, explain why you departed with an expired card, or why you did not return to the U.S. before your card expired.
8. A certified translation of all documents that are not in the English language.