USCIS Beijing Field Office People’s Republic of China


Michael Hickman, Field Office Director

Service Area

The Beijing Field Office has jurisdiction over 18 provinces in China, four autonomous regions, four municipalities under State Council and the country of Mongolia. 

The 18 northern provinces are: Anhui, Gansu, Guizhou, Heilonjeang, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Jilin, Liaoning, Qinghai, Shaanzi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Yunan, and Zhehang. The four autonomous regions are: Nei Mongol, Ningxia, Xinjiang, and Xizang (Tibet). The four municipalities under State Council which are: Beijing, Chongqing, Shanghai, and Tianjin.

Street Address

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Embassy - Beijing
No. 55 An Jia Lou Road
Beijing, China 100600

Office Location

The Beijing Field Office is located at No. 55 An Jia Lou Road.

American Citizens and visa applicants should enter the USCIS Beijing Field Office at the American Embassy's east gate. The east gate is located at the Tian Ze Road Intersection of An Jia Lou Road, close to Ladies' Street (Nüren Jie) and Laitai Flower Market, and opposite the Kempinski Hotel and Lufthansa Shopping Center.

Hours of Operation

The office is open to the public by appointment only and is closed on both Chinese and American holidays.

Walk-ins are not allowed. You must make an appointment and you are required to present a government issued photo identification.

Paying Fees

Fees for all applications and petitions submitted to the Beijing Field Office must be paid to the Cashier at the American Embassy or Consulate in China. All fees must be paid in cash with U.S. dollars or Chinese RMB. Personal checks are not accepted. The filing fee receipt should be submitted with the application or petition. 

On the day you file you will receive a form, you will be asked to take the form to the American Citizen Services (ACS) office, that is located at the U.S. Embassy, and you will pay the filing fee. ACS will give you a receipt as evidence that you have paid the fee and you will need to provide the receipt to USCIS.

The receipt should be submitted with the application or petition. All fees must be paid in cash with U.S. dollars or Chinese RMB. No personal checks are accepted. 

The cashier hours at the American Citizen Services Section of the American Embassy in Beijing are 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

Services at the USCIS Beijing Office

Form I-130

Petitions for Alien Relatives (For Spouses, known as CR-1 or IR-1 cases)

U.S. Citizens with proof of residency in China may file an Immediate Relative Petition (Form I-130) by making an appointment to go to the office during Window hours. For spouses, these types of cases are also often referred to as CR-1 or IR-1 visa cases. 

U.S. Citizens with proof of residency in China or who reside outside of the Beijing or Guangzhou Consular Districts, may file at the American Consulates General in Shenyang, Shanghai, or Chengdu. The Beijing Office may contact petitioners and/or applicants to request personal appearances for an interview or to request additional documentation. 

Please note that in China, immigrant visas are only issued at the American Consulate General in Guangzhou. Therefore, unless otherwise requested, all approved immediate relative petitions are forwarded to Guangzhou for further processing.

Additional information about Petitions for Alien Relatives may be reviewed by visiting the following pages on our website:

  • U.S. Family Immigration [link]
  • CR-1 spouse visas [link]
  • Additional information on Overseas filing of Petitions for Alien Relatives, sometimes mistakenly referred to as “Direct Consular Filing” or “DCF”, may be viewed by clicking here [link to article on overseas filing].

NOTE: Overseas USCIS offices do not accept or adjudicate I-129F petitions for Fiancées.

Form I-601

Applications for waivers of Legal Grounds of Excludability or Inadmissibility on Form I-601 may be submitted to either the U.S. Embassy where a denial occurs or to USCIS directly. Please note, however, that adjudication of such I-601 Waiver Applications is by USCIS, not the Embassy or Department of State. In general, the Consular Officer handling your case at the Embassy may make a recommendation to USCIS to approve or deny a subsequently filed waiver application but, the decision to approve or deny the application ultimately rests with USCIS.

Additional information about legal grounds of inadmissibility (reasons for visa denials) may be reviewed by visiting our page on I-601 waiver applications [link] or by reading our article on legal grounds of inadmissibility and I-601 waiver applications [link to article]

The Administrative Review Office DHS/CBP Minneapolis is responsible for all non-immigrant visa waivers with the exception of K visas which are adjudicated by USCIS.
If you have been denied a visa or if you have questions regarding filing of I-601 Waiver Applications with USCIS, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Form I-407

Relinquishment of Legal Permanent Resident Status (Giving up your green card)

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. If an individual who relinquishes their lawful permanent resident status (their “green card”) wishes to obtain lawful permanent resident status again in the future, they must qualify again for such status by filing a new petition in a category in which they qualify. One should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status. 

That being said, there are perfectly sound reasons for relinquishing one’s green card. If a legal permanent resident has been out of the United States for a prolonged period of time, without a Re-Entry Permit, they may have already lost their legal permanent resident status, essentially by operation of law. In such instances and, where the green card holder wishes only to visit the U.S. infrequently and for brief periods of time, it is often advisable to relinquish the green card with an I-407 filing preparatory to filing an application for a B1/B2 visitor visa. In such cases, be sure to retain the copy of the I-407 which you will receive from the USCIS officer at the time you relinquish your green card and, include it in the evidence package on any subsequent tourist or other U.S. visa application.

We again caution you that your green card should not be relinquished without very careful consideration and, if you are at all in doubt about your status or intentions, you should obtain a legal opinion to inform your decision making. . If you are considering giving up your green card and wish a legal opinion on your status and options, please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed attorneys at

Forms I-600 & I-600A

The Beijing Field Office accepts advance processing applications (From I-600A) filed by prospective adoptive parents who reside with the Beijing Consular District. The Beijing Field office also provides fingerprinting services to prospective adopting parents who reside within the Beijing Consular District. Please note that orphan petitions (Form I-600) may only be filed at the Guangzhou, China office.

Only American citizens may petition for the immigration of orphans adopted abroad. Lawful Permanent Residents cannot petition for orphans to immigrate to the United States. Additionally, Lawful Permanent Residents who have adopted in China as Chinese citizens may not be in compliance with federal regulations and their children may not be eligible for U.S. immigration benefits.

The Department of State has an extremely helpful and well organized information resource relating to intercountry adoptions which can be viewed at:

Form N-400

The Beijing Field Office is not able to accept or process Naturalization applications from U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) living overseas.

EXCEPTION: Certain Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military can be naturalized overseas. However, the applications should be filed with the Nebraska Service Center. For additional information about Naturalization rules applicable to Active Duty Military members, Spouses of Active Duty Military, and Children of Active Duty Military please forward your inquiry to one of our U.S. licensed Immigration attorneys at

The Beijing Field Office does provide fingerprinting services for Naturalization applicants including fingerprinting for spouses of U.S. citizens filing under expedited Naturalization provisions.

Form I-131 Parole

The Beijing Field Office does not issue Humanitarian Parole. Individuals must apply for parole by submitting their applications to:

Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Chief, International Operations Division
(Humanitarian Parole)
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100

Form I-131 Re-entry

The Beijing Field Office does not issue or extend Re-Entry Permits.

Refugee Travel Documents:   The Beijing Field Office is not authorized to process applications for travel documents.

Inquiries, from persons overseas, regarding these documents should be sent to:

Asia/Pacific District
USCIS, 15th Floor
120-122 Wireless Road 
Bangkok, Thailand 10330

Transportation Boarding Letters

You must come to the Beijing Field Office in person to apply for a transportation or boarding letter. These letters are generally issued to a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has lost or had their Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) stolen. 

The following documents will be required: 

1.         Proper Identification 

2.         Police Report regarding the loss or theft

3.         Proof of Residence in the United States within the last year and the date on which you last departed the United States

4.         Passport size photographs (5) - can be obtained at Citic Building in Beijing

5.         Copy of your return airline tickets, if applicable

6.         A completed Form I-90 ''Application to Replace Alien Registration Card''

7.         You must pay the fee in U.S. Dollars or Chinese RMB. 

8.         Verification of your immigration status must be established before a transportation letter will be issued.